Serves 4 to 6.
This one is from grandpa’s recipe box, but I can’t figure out why it’s called “Almost” Gumbo; it sure sounds like full-on gumbo to me!
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra, thawed and drained.
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long- or whole-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- In a 6-quart soup pot, combine the sausage, water, tomatoes, okra, thyme, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
Note: If you’d like to make this even more authentic-tasting, add about a pound of peeled, cooked shrimp 5 minutes before serving.
A sandwich? Really? Why yes! This may be a humble sandwich, but rest assured, the deliciousness definitely outweighs the simplicity!
You will need:
- 2 slices vegan bread (most bread is vegan! just check the ingredients if you aren’t sure.)
- hummus – any flavor! I like roasted pine nut, or garlic.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tomato
- Toast your bread to desired golden brown crunchyness.
- While it’s toasting, cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and slice it. Be careful not to squish the slices! Remove peels from slices.
- When your bread pops out of the toaster, spread hummus all over both slices.
- Wash and slice the tomato.
- Layer avocado and tomato on hummus bread.
Super easy, super healthy, super vegan.