Serves 4 to 6.
This one is from grandpa’s recipe box, but I can’t figure out why it’s called “Almost” Gumbo; it sure sounds like full-on gumbo to me!
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut okra, thawed and drained.
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long- or whole-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- In a 6-quart soup pot, combine the sausage, water, tomatoes, okra, thyme, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
Note: If you’d like to make this even more authentic-tasting, add about a pound of peeled, cooked shrimp 5 minutes before serving.