Serves 4, Prep time:15 minutes, Cooking time: 16 – 20 minutes.
Ready in about half an hour.
- 1 lb potatoes, shredded (tip – potatoes are easier to shred if you parboil them first! Put ’em on the stove in a pot of boiling water for 4 to 6 minutes.)
- 1 onion, chopped (I find that the best kind of onion is yellow, wide, short, and sweet.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or if you don’t wanna bother with that, some Italian seasoning or fresh chives will also work.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place the shredded potatoes in a strainer and rinse well under cold water to remove excess starch. This will make it fry well. Drain.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl with the onion, parsley, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and divide into rounds.
- Heat the oil in an 8 or 9 inch heavy-based skillet. Cast iron works great. Add the potato cakes to pan in batches, and pat lightly with spatula. Fry them on medium low for 8 to 10 minutes until the undersides are crisp and brown, then fry the other side for 10 minutes until also crispy brown.
- Season with salt + pepper and serve immediately!