This is another recipe from Grandma Sharon, transcribed by my mother in the mid-nineties.
Preheat oven to 350.
Ready in 1 hour, 10 minutes.
Serves 8 (or more!)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (or egg substitute, if vegan)
- 2 cups milk, scalded, or 2 cups soymilk, warmed
- 2-3 pieces of irish soda bread, torn into cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins, or other fruit (optional)
- Optional: Irish Cream Liquid Coffee Creamer, to taste.
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Add scalded milk slowly, stirring all the while.
- Add bread cubes and fruit. Mix thouroughly.
- Pour mixture into well greased 8x12x2 baking dish.
- Set baking dish in pan of warm water, and bake at 350 for an hour, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool, serve, and enjoy!
(Goes great with whipped cream!)
*pre-heat oven to 350
6 packets sugar substitute
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbs. butter
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 egg lightly beaten
2 cups milk, scalded
1 cup bread crumbs (cubes)
1/2 cup fruit, optional
Combine first six ingredients. Add hot milk slowly while stirring constantly. Add breadcrumbs and fruit, mix thoroughly. Pour into well buttered 8x12x2 pan. Set that pan in a larger pan of warm water to make a double boiler. Bake for an hour, until knife comes out clean. Cool and serve.