These cookies take about a minute each to cook (you’ll be using a waffle iron) and they have to be refrigerated overnight. That might sound like a long time to wait, but when you’re done, these cookies à la France will come out deliciously light and fluffy, and the most beautiful golden brown.
This recipe will make about 2 dozen mysteriously vanishing cookies.
- 3 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cups oil. Melted butter is traditional, but melted coconut oil is a much healthier option.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat yolks until thick and yellow.
- Beat whites until foamy.
- Combine dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Stir in oil, yolks, and vanilla.
- Fold in whites, blend well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Shape 1-inch balls, and bake in a waffle iron a few at a time until golden brown – about 1 minute.