This bread is vegan!
What you’re gonna need:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active yeast (or, 1 packet)
- Generous 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (not hot)
- herb seasoning for flavoring (optional but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (white or brown; it doesn’t matter. It won’t make much difference which one you use. I like the subtle brown sugar flavor in mine, but it seems that white sugar helps your yeast foam faster.)
- 1 tablespoon of oil. I like coconut oil or olive oil! (Any will work. Well, except motor oil. That would probably kill you.)
Here’s the plan:
- Dissolve your yeast in the 1.5 cups warm water. Add the sugar. Cover, and let rest until your yeast starts to foam; about 5 or 10 minutes.
- Add herb seasoning and flour.
- Knead 3 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise 30 minutes until doubled.
- Knead dough on a floured surface for 5 to 10 more minutes.
- If desired, braid bread!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Let rise near warm oven while preheating.
- Once your oven is ready, put the loaf in, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.