This recipe is gluten free and vegan.
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- chopped cilantro to taste
- lime juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1 roma tomato, chopped
- optional: 1 fresh green chile (like a poblano pepper), seeded and finely chopped
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise, and twist the halves sideways to separate. Stab the pits with the point of a sharp knife, and lift to remove.
- Peel and coarsely chop the avocado halves, and place in a nonmetallic bowl.
- Add lime juice and olive oil.
- Mash everything with a fork until the desired consistency is reached – this is all personal preference! I like mine smooth. Blend in the onion, tomato, chile, garlic, cumin, and chopped cilantro, then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately, to avoid discoloration. Note – I don’t really find that the taste is affected when the guacamole starts browing, so it should be just fine kept overnight in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, if you like!