This recipe came off of a card folded up in my family recipe box. The card looks like it came out of a magazine in the early 90s.
Serves 4. Ready in just over half an hour. Cooks for 20 minutes, 425 degrees.
- 4 medium russet or yukon gold potatoes, cut into large wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (0r garlic powder)
- Ketchup, if desired.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl, add cold water to cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet, and set aside.
- Drain potatoes in a colander/strainer.
- Transfer potatoes to a large clean bowl. Sprinkle with oil, pepper, garlic, and salt. Toss gently to combine. Arrange seasoned potatoes in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. After 10 minutes in the oven, turn potatoes with a spatula for even browning.
- Serve immediately, with ketchup on the side.
Oh yeah – if you want this to be sweeter, you could also try it with sweet potatoes instead of russet! Proceed as directed in steps 1, 2, and 3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (and skip the garlic!) when tossing potatoes with spices in step 4. Bake just as directed in step 5.
This is a great option for vegans who miss the taste of some fast food french fries made with beef flavor and milk derivaties.
Thanks for reading!